Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#Pinterest Fail

This was my first time having an epic Pinterest fail. Usually I can hit Pinterest up for any recipe and I look like Rachael Ray! Not this time. Le sigh.

This was the illustrious recipe I was trying to re-create.
Source: healthyfoodguide.com.au via MegS on

They look totally different, please note.

It was supposed to be soup. Supposed to be is the key word here, folks. Mine looks like porridge. (Truth, I've never had, nor seen porridge, this was the only reference I could think of).

The recipe consists of:

Instructions

Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add potato and cook for 3–4 minutes. Add cauliflower and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until tender.
Step 2 Meanwhile, fry or grill bacon until crisp.
Step 3 Purée soup in blender (or use a stick blender). When thick and creamy, gently reheat. Add blue cheese and stir through until cheese has melted. Season with pepper, to taste. Garnish with blue cheese, if desired.
Step 4 Spread toast with onion jam and top with bacon. Cut into triangles and serve with soup.

Original ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup full-fat milk
1/2 cup cream
120g blue cheese

What we did

  • Removed the butter, milk and cream
  • Reduced the cheese and salt
  • Increased the cauliflower and stock, and added potato

Traditional version (per serve)

Total energy 1940kJ
Total fat 40g (25g saturated fat)

HFG version (per serve)

Total energy 940kJ (225cal)
Total fat 7.9g (3.6g saturated fat)

Not too shabby, right? And easy enough to make.

For some reason, I got it all wrong. Mine was bland and very cauliflowery. Is that a word? It is now.

I made the hubby some bacon sandwiches to go with, and made caramlized onions, because I haven't a clue what the heck onion jam is. He ended up crumbling the crispy bacon in the soup, because he said it tasted better. Bless his heart.



I wish I could say nom. But I can't. Sad.

Have you ever had a Pinterest fail? Or have you ever had cauliflower blue cheese soup that you loved? If so, I need that recipe, please!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your pin failed you! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok. Next time I'm sure it will be delish. Plus this was the healthy version. The non-healthy stuff makes it divine. Nom.

      Delete