Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oh HECK no!


So the more I discuss the wedding with my mother the more I get the following response, "you're just not doing anything within tradition or custom it seems like." Well, mom, here ya go! This site is to let you know, things could be a heck of a lot worse!!!!!

And, all reading this, you DARE cover me with a foul substance, it's on like Donkey Kong. Just an FYI...

So, without further ado, I present the world's weirdest wedding traditions! (Note ours haven't made the list woohoo!!!)

http://www.eventective.com/blog/weddings/2008/06/11/worlds-bizarre-wedding-customs/

One example, kidnapping the bride.

In many small villages throughout Germany, friends of the bride and groom will kidnap the bride and hide her somewhere.The groom then has to search to find her.

Of course the search always begins in the local pub, for obvious reasons, where the groom will invite everyone to join him in the search, after buying them all a drink.

This ritual has been known to end badly. . .(Ya think!?)


Log swaying.

Ok, for those of you who don't know, please ask C about my chopping wood experience. I'm no Paul Bunyan, that's fo' sho'.

This tradition just scares the begeezies outta me!
(See picture above)

Log sawing is just another tradition that seems to really test the bride and grooms physical skills.

After the couple are married, a log is positioned between two sawhorses where both the newlyweds must saw in half working together.

This is supposedly a sign of how they will handle things together once they are married.

Germans also wear their matching wedding bands on their right hands not their left.

Lessons I have learned from this website.
1. People are nuts.
2. I've got my eyes peeled on our wedding day. You come near me with anything to kidnap, throw, smash, or cut, you're a goner!
3. C and I don't need to saw a log, clean up dishes, or jump a broom to know that we can endure anything and everything thrown at us.
4. I think coins in my shoes will be uncomfy.

Any other traditions I missed?! Better not add coconuts to this list!

1 comment: