Monday, July 30, 2012

Bye Bye My Artichoke Pie.....

I don't claim to be a chef, nor would I list "cooking" as one of the many skills on my resume. Instead, I'd call myself a dappler in the kitchen. I tend to try new things- often to find they are epic fails. However, I did have one success that I must share.

Artichoke Pie!
I follow the recipe I found on Allrecipes.com, with a few variations.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crust
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until it starts to brown. Stir in the artichoke hearts and cook 10 minutes before adding the bread crumbs and half of the parmesan cheese. When heated through, transfer half of artichoke mixture to pie crust.
  3. Pour eggs over artichoke mixture and sprinkle in the rest of the parmesan cheese. Spoon the rest of the artichoke mixture into the pie and top with mozzarella cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until crust begins to brown.
Now, for my modifications.

I add onions. I add shallots this last time and they were money!
Also, I try to stick with jarred hearts, rather than those in the can for two reasons. 1. My fat cats think it's feeding time and I was surrounded. 2. They almost had a "pickled" taste to them. The ones in the jar don't. I think I'll go that route from now on.
I also throw another pie crust on top, so there are two layers of pie crust. I love carbs, what can I say?!

This is my go to recipe whenever I have to go somewhere and bring a dish. Nom.

It's so good, it's gone......

1 comment:

  1. Hi There! I am a new GFC follower from Army Tankers Wife. Please stop by and visit me sometime at www.armytankerswife.com.

    ReplyDelete