Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Never judge a book by its cover


“Reputation is what others think of us; character is what God knows of us. When you have spent what feels like eternity trying to repair a few moments of time that destroyed the view others once had of you then you must ask yourself if you have the problem or is it really them? God doesn’t make us try so hard…..only enemies do.” ~ Shannon L Alder
The above quote truly represents how I feel at this point in my life. The past couple of years have been a whirlwind. I can tell you all, I haven't been 100% happy. Something has been missing. I have felt alone.
 
During this last deployment, a lot happened that truly rattled my faith and my marriage. But I took it as a moment to reflect. I am one to hold on to things, to judge. And with all the sorrys and feelings, I wanted to make sure things were justified. And they are.
 
I can gladly say now that I'm 100% happy. I've forgiven the demons. I have seen that people really can change.
 
With that being said, this is where I must reference the above quote. It's the nature of the beast to judge. It's what humans do. However, the only one person that really can see the difference someone has made is God. Ok, scratch that, the only two people are God and someone who is around the person all the time. I've been guilty of judging. Of holding on to things. And you know what folks? I shouldn't. No one is perfect. I've had to ask for forgiveness and it's been granted, so why shouldn't I afford this same opportunity to someone else? Why is it totally acceptable for me to say, "yea, I'm not that person anymore" and for it to be ok, but when someone else is the same way, it's a crime?
 
Hostility rattles people. It rattles friendships, relationships, etc. It harbors resentments.
 
I just hope the next time you are so quick to judge someone that you can take a step back and see that you aren't so perfect either. And then maybe you can give them a chance.
 
Not a sermon, just a thought. You know, sometimes I get all deep in here. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sending you love my friend! I know you and your hubby have gone through some tough stuff, not easy on a marriage.

    ReplyDelete